Welcome to the Haywood Senior Resource Center!
What is Haywood Community Connections?
In November 2004, the Haywood Community Governing Council was awarded a $150,000 grant by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to develop a county-wide strategic plan. Subsequently, the Governing Council was awarded a $750,000 implementation grant from the Community Partnerships for Older Adults Program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. There were only seven grantees nationwide. The grant led to the creation of Haywood Community Connections. Its mission is “To equip and empower older adults in Haywood County to live in their own homes as long as possible and desired by maximizing the resources and giftedness in one another through community collaborations.” Haywood Community Connections is now primarily funded through county and municipal support and donations.
Why is Haywood Community Connections important?
Haywood Community Connections is important because it:
- Creates a system that is responsive to not only the needs but also the preferences of our vulnerable, at-risk, older citizens
- Increases collaboration through partnership
- Brings community members, businesses, and government entities together to bring positive changes to our county
- Empowers and equips community leaders to meet needs in their communities through the provision of resources, tools, and training.
- Creates an awareness of services and programs currently available
- Increases preparedness to address emerging needs and to capitalize upon opportunities to meet those needs
- Assists the long term care and supportive services system in being more self-sufficient and less dependent on support from outside the community.